Projects at consortium level
MOSAICS - Development of a system for appropriate management of access to and transfer of microbiological resources
Projects at collection level
BCCM/LMBP Plasmid Collection
Cloning and functional analysis of genes from bacterial defense systems. We focus on Salmonella typhimurium and Pseudomonas aeruginosa, for which several type II, III, IV and VI secretion system genes are already available in the public collection.
Construction of unique gene family plasmid libraries. Our current focus is on the creation of a tagged expression library for membrane targeting of different proteins. This expression library is derived from plasmids of the human ORFeome database described by Yang et al. (2011; PMID: 21706014).
BCCM/LMBP will make this ORFeome publicly accessible on short term.
- Optimisation and validation of long-term plasmid DNA storage methods.
Collaboration with the VIB Microscopy Core Facility (VIB, Ghent, Belgium) for the construction of plasmids expressing APEX-tagged proteins which are useful for electron microscopy. A Gateway entry vector containing the APEX gene for the creation of N-terminally tagged protein expression vectors is available in the public collection.
Arabidopsis Genomic RNAi Knock-out Line Analysis (AGRIKOLA). Collaboration with the Department of Plant Systems Biology (VIB, Ghent, Belgium) to validate a genome-scale library of Gateway plasmids for gene silencing in Arabidopsis thaliana. The entire library is publicly available via BCCM/LMBP.
Screening and genetic manipulation of fungi for improved protein secretion and N-glycosylation. Collaboration with BCCM/MUCL and the Center for Transgene Technology and Gene Therapy (KUL, Leuven, Belgium) for the analysis of the N-glycan profile of yeast and fungi and the conversion to more human-like structures. Yeast Surface Display was implemented in Pichia pastoris as a tool to increase secretion of proteins that are difficult to express.
BCCM/MUCL Environmental and Applied Mycology
- Taxonomie, biologie, et stratégie nutritionnelle des polypores lignivores en forêt tropicale humide des plateaux guyanais en Guyane française (FNRS / FRFC)
- Reinforcement of the fungal expertise in Ecuador via the development of biotechnological-oriented fungal resource centres and case studies of fungal plants interactions in selected ecosystems (CIUF/CUD/PIC)
- Antibiotics and anti-quorum sensing compounds from African fungal endophytes inhabiting medicinal plants and cultures of macromycetes (ASAFEM/ ERAfrica, via the FNRS)
- C. Decock, MUCL, UCL - Belgium
- Josphat Matasyoh, Egerton University – Kenya
- Marc Stadler, HZI Braunschweig – Germany
- Roderich Süßmuth, Technical University of Berlin – Germany
- Hafizah Cheniah, University of Kwa Zulu Natal – South Africa
- Mycotoxins and mycotoxigenic fungi in China: analytical tools, dietary exposure and Fusarium diversity. (Belspo BL/10/C59)
- Flore lévurienne associée à la fermentation du cacao à Cuba: caractérisation moléculaire et physiologique (WBI, project 2, 2013-2015)
BCCM/ULC Cyanobacteria Collection
- Collaboration with Prof. Emmanuelle Javaux (Geology Dept, Ulg) for the FRFC project « Fossilisation des cyanobactéries : approches phylogénétique, micropaléontologique et sédimentologique et implications pour l’évolution de la biosphère primitive » ; 2009-12.
- Masters thesis. Yasmine Ould Amer ‘ Etude du potentiel de synthèse de composés secondaires bioactifs par des Cyanobactéries’ (Master in Biochemistry, Molecular and Cellular Biology, U. Liège, Belgium) ; June 2012.
- Bilateral cooperation project WBI/Poland on the Application of ‘Next Generation Sequencing’ (NGS) approaches for the design of genetic engineering tools for Arthrospira strains (cyanobacterium).; 2013-14
- Bilateral cooperation (FNRS-CNPq) with Prof. Fiore Marli (CENA, Piracicaba, Brazil) to study the production of bioactive compounds of Antarctic strains; 2012.
- We have a bilateral cooperation project with Prof. Albertano and Dr. Billi (University Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy) concerning the phylogeny of Chroococidiopsis, a cyanobacterial genus found in cold and hot deserts
- Since November 2013, Dr Julia Kleinteich has obtained a 2-year BeIPD‐COFUND‐IPD fellowship to work on the production of cyanotoxins and secondary metabolites by BCCM/ULC strains.