The exploration and use of marine and freshwater microorganisms for a broad range of applications is very promising: novel antibiotics, enzymes, chemical compounds for the pharmaceutical and biotechnological industries, etc.
The Belgian Coordinated Collections of Microorganisms (BCCM) preserve thousands of meticulously characterised isolates and reference strains of bacteria, cyanobacteria, fungi and diatoms but also plasmids, from a huge variety of aquatic sources, including the Arctic and the Antarctic.
Working under quality controlled conditions, BCCM provides viable organisms or DnA extracts as resources for e.g. bioprospection, screening, biomass production and use in aquaculture. Plasmids are available for manipulation of microorganisms to expand their range of application.
On top of invaluable microbiological resources, BCCM also offers a range of services for microbial analyses. Our specialised staff is ready to help you find the right service for your specific business or academic needs.
Looking for biological material?
Go and visit the BCCM online catalogue: http://bccm.belspo.be/catalogues
- Subsets of specific interest: producers of secondary metabolites, additives, aquaculture inoculants, etc.
- Customised subsets for screening at special conditions
- Strain sets for educational purposes at reduced price
Need to preserve isolates or plasmids?
BCCM preserves cultures and DnA under quality controlled conditions.
- Free public deposit under a unique accession number
- Restricted access deposits: safe – patent – storage of third party material
Need to know your cultures?
Make use of the BCCM characterisation expertise.
- Research: biodiversity – taxonomy – functional properties
- Screenings (e.g. genomic) for properties of interest
- Tailor-made approaches
Looking for training?
BCCM provides training for groups or individuals
- On isolation, cultivation and preservation of aquatic isolates
- On identification and classification
Require more specific services?
Ask BCCM for consultancy & contract research.